Thursday, March 25, 2010

How I feel about becoming a tutor

The thought of becoming a tutor is exciting to me. I really love English and writing and I want to be able to get others to at least become more confident in their writing. I cannot say yet how productive I will be but I am hopeful that my passion for writing will speak for itself when the time comes and I'll be effective. Most importantly, I want the students I'll be tutoring to understand why certain issues in whatever they write need to be resolved. I hope I'm able to relay the information accurately so that they'll actually understand why what I point out needs attention and not make the same mistakes again. That is definitely my biggest aspiration and my biggest concern.

1 comment:

  1. Having a passion for writing is definitely helpful in teaching writing! But I do think you might want to be careful about the ideas of telling a student "why certain issues ... need to be resolved" and hoping a student does "not make the same mistakes again." Remember, we're not doing this to point our mistakes--ever. We want to help the student realize what their ideas are and how to organize them so a reader will understand. You will no doubt explain certain things at certain points--like what a thesis is or how a paragraph works--but in the Writing Center we don't want to think in terms of "mistakes." I'm pretty sure you know that...just be careful because there's still little signs of this thinking in your word choices here. OK?

    ReplyDelete