Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What I have learned about being a writing tutor & how I feel about becoming one

My experience yesterday in the writing center was as I expected. The tutor we observed noticed many grammatical errors in his students writing works and focused on fixing those problems. This kind of mixes me up, especially since I tend to focus on the grammar above all things, myself. We're told that the issue of grammar isn't supposed to be the main focus of the paper and I have to admit, I tend to disagree with that system so that will definitely be a challenge for me.
Time management is something I've learned. It's very important and yet quite challenging to provide each student a session that is benefiting to them in such a short amount of time. Each student is in need of special assistance and deserves their fair amount of time with the tutor so it is imperative that the tutor be mindful of that.

1 comment:

  1. Giselle, Just FYI--It's not that grammar doesn't matter. It is simply, as the phrase suggests, a concern of a lesser order. Think of it this way: there's no point working on the grammar if there's no essay structure or ideas to build on!

    ReplyDelete